After moving to Clitheroe in Lancashire in 2001 to take up the Head of Hearing Therapy post across East Lancashire NHS, it soon became apparent there was a need to add to my skill set. In my previous post, we had a clinical psychologist our patients could work with when they needed psychological help with their tinnitus and/or hearing in addition to what I could offer as a Hearing Therapist.
As a result of that, I went on to take a PG Dip in Hypnosis & Psychotherapy so that I could help my patients in Lancashire who needed help with anxiety/depression that in fact made their tinnitus distress worse. I later consolidated this qualification with an MSc in Psychotherapy with the University of Sheffield.
In my role as psychotherapist, having a Clinical Physiology background and a keen interest in neuroscience and neuropsychotherapy, I teach how to rebalance the Autonomic Nervous System (anxiety causes major imbalance in this essential function) and then progress forward to enabling clients achieve that sense of control that's "missing" when anxiety and stress have taken over.
I work with:
- People aged 14+
- Young people who have been bullied at school or online
- People with self-confidence/self-esteem issues
- People with short, medium and long term anxiety and/or depression
- People on medium to long term medications for anxiety and/or depression who want to reduce or come off their medications altogether - this is done in conjunction with their doctor/GP
- People struggling with OCD
- People who have experienced trauma
- People going through relationship difficulties at home, work or socially
- Is holistic and integrated
- Is person centred
- Begins by exploring the Physiology and Neuroscience behind how you feel - my background being in Clinical Physiology
- Often involves merging Rogerian, CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) and Existential approaches
- Always tailors therapy to the individual and their specific needs
- May include hypnotherapy - I am a CNHC registered hypnotherapist
- Always uses clinical measures, for example the GAD-7, to measure progress and benefit
- Always has a beginning, a middle and an end of therapy
More detailed information about my work in Counselling and Psychotherapy can be found in my website
If you would like to book an assessment, you can email email@example.com